Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Beyond According to Jim: Sports blogs are replacing the real deal

Thanks to sports blogs, I'll never go to ESPN.com ever again. I'm not sure the general population are aware of the Internet and sport's best kept secret, but if they don't then somebody needs to tell them.

I first disovered sports blogs when a good friend of mine introduced me to Deadspin (www.deadspin.com). It changed my life. With a combination of humor, sports and the audacity to drop the politics of the game and finally "go for it," Deadspin showed me what writing about sports really means. Perspective, that meant nothing before I found sports blogs. It was like finding Jesus.

Then, I found Jesus like 10 or 11 more times. There are more amazing blogs out there than I can keep track of. The Fan House, Kissing Suzy Kolber, True Hoops, With Leather, these are all sites that I truly cannot get enough of and they offer more insight than ESPN could ever attempt (not including "Page 2" on ESPN.com, Bill Simmons is too good for ESPN).

I love blogs so much that I even have one of my own (www.jimmyburch.com). It surely doesn't see the traffic of Deadspin but just the thought that I could offer the same kind of insight and opinion to America gets me going. I could let my life waste away reading nothing but sports blogs.

Oh, and humor blogs, too. I strongly recommend What Would Tyler Durden Do (www.wwtdd.com) and I dare you to read Maddox (xmission.maddox.com) or Tucker Max (www.tuckermax.com) without laughing uncontrolably.

- Jim Burch

No comments: