Saturday, February 24, 2007

Lord, what fools these mortals be ...

I'm not going to lie - I don't always understand Shakespeare's writing. Sometimes, Elizabethan English might as well be German to me, but once I watch an actor portray the characters and once I hear Shakespeare's flawless cadences and poetry spoken, I'm hooked. I know 450-year-old poetry isn't for everyone, but it deserves a chance. It's full of beautiful sentences like "Gallop apace, you fiery-footed steeds towards Phoebus' lodging: such a wagoner as Phaethon would whip you to the west,and bring in cloudy night immediately." Words like those just aren't uttered enough anymore.

Murray is currently holding its annual Shakespeare festival. We'll publish an article about it Friday, but by then, it will be over. Therefore, I urge readers to check it out before then.

David Lee Miller from the University of South Carolina will be giving a lecture tomorrow at 7 p.m. in the Clara M. Eagle Art Gallery titled "The Voice of Caesar's Wounds." It's free. Enough said.

The Blackfriars Stage Company will perform "Julius Caesar" at 10 a.m. Tuesday in Lovett Auditorium. It's not free, unfortunately. It costs $7 for students and $10 for adults, but that means you can get a taste of culture for the price of a pizza.

Tuesday night, the Blackfriars will perform "A Midsummer Night's Dream" at 7 p.m. in Lovett Auditorium. Again, tickets cost $7 for students and $10 for adults. It's a light, fun comedy, and - excuse the pitiful joke, I can't resist - missing it would be a true Shakespearean tragedy.

~Casey

No comments: